Wednesday, September 7, 2011

How am I? Just Peachy!

Peaches. Peaches and cream. Peachy.

I don’t like peaches too much on their own. I can have the fruit once in a while, but the taste doesn’t do much for me.

As for Peaches n Cream… what IS that? Who really has a “Peaches n Cream” complexion?! Ok, so maybe there are people who are yellowish-pinkish-orange. Not me for sure. Also, complexion and skin is a sore topic where I am concerned. As is hair. But more skin I think. All my life (ok, since I was 13...) I have struggled with skin problems. I have bad skin. Acne, blackheads, pits, terribly oily skin, a perennially shiny nose, an ordinary skin tone (neither fair enough nor dusky enough to be of any notice) and pimples which looked more like an infestation of rash than ordinary zits! Friends and family assured me that it was an adolescent thing, that I would forget what acne was once I cross 20. But it was not to be. I’m over 30 now and I have just barely managed to get rid of the acne. The marks remain. And the acne keeps recurring all over my shoulders and back. So really, to hell with peaches and cream and all that jazz!


As for peachy…
“How are you?”
“Just peachy, thank you!”

Ha! I really want to say that to someone one day. Peachy. The very word drips with sarcasm! Oh don’t ask me to explain. I just like the way it sounds. Like a word you can throw at someone who asks, “Are you ok?” after knowing that you are definitely not ok. Or something like that. You get the drift… “I’m peachy!”

So yes, I’m feeling peachy, Thank you! :) Now you may take that at face value or otherwise. Up to you really.

So… that’s about the only form of Peach I like – Peachy. Till I poached some peaches. Poached Peaches. Perfectly Poached Pink Peaches. Peachy!!!

Ok, ok, before I totally lose the plot and scare you all away, let’s get on with the recipe.

POACHED PEACHES IN SPICED SYRUP

Ingredients:

Ripe Peaches – 3
Sugar – ½ cup
Water – 1 cup
Cinnamon – 1 inch
Star anise – 1
Lemon slices – 2
Vanilla extract – 1 or 2 drops

In a wide saucepan, bring 1 cup of water and half a cup of sugar to boil along with 1 stick of cinnamon and/or a star anise. Cook till this forms a thick syrup. Peel the peaches, cut them in equal halves and remove the pits. If you are finding it difficult to pit them, don’t worry. The pits can be removed even after poaching. 

Drop in the halved peaches pit-side down into the sugar syrup. Add 2 thin slices of lemon, the vanilla extract, cover and poach for 8-10min, turning the peaches over once in a while. Check with a fork or toothpick for done-ness. The peaches should remain firm and not turn mushy. Remove from heat and once cool, refrigerate. You can remove the excess syrup and store separately.

The way I like it:
Serve the poached peaches chilled with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream and a drizzle of the spiced sugar syrup. Truly peachy! :)