Thursday, February 3, 2011

Living the 'Filmy' life and Mixed Dal Kasoori Methi

I have been away for so long now that my writing feels rusty! In my defense, it has been a crazy month... those who know me will know that my life has always been filmi. So yes, it has been at it again :P Hmmm... how much can I say without really saying anything?? Yeah yeah, I know sometimes it is better to not say anything at all. But then me being me, I will say this much - in these past couple of weeks, I have talked a lot, screamed a bit, counselled endlessly, cried, hugged, laughed, stayed up all night, lost lotsa money at poker, spent time with my closest friends, fought with another friend, went to a shrink, decided to get a job, then decided to study instead, went for an interview, did not go for another, threw a party, cooked some, broke my bling phone, felt envious, got infuriated, got exasperated, got depressed, got stoned... Weeellll, not necessarily in that order :) So if that isn't the recipe for a masala film, what is??!

For all of you who got stuck on me going to the shrink part, no! It was NOT for me! But still, it was quite a milestone... sitting in a shrink's office.... hehehe!

So anyways, coming back to the blog now seems like some semblance of normalcy has been restored to my life. So I shall hang on to that illusion for a while till the filmi-ness strikes again! :D


The one thing I have sworn to myself though, is that I will keep cooking. That's the only thing that keeps me going. Like last evening when I got back home after a really long day, I just went straight into the kitchen without even changing and rustled up some Chicken in a White Sauce and instantly felt so much better! That recipe's coming up later. Today I'm sharing the recipe for some Mixed Dal I had made some time ago. HyperCity has these packets of Mixed Lentils that are great and that's what I use for this recipe. But you can pretty much mix whichever lentils you have or like. Just make sure they all take approximately the same amount of time to cook. The Mixed Lentils packet I get has equal parts Toor Dal, Channa Dal, Masoor Dal, Green Moong Dal and Black Dal. It is nutritious, tasty and very simple to make.

Mixed Lentils with Fenugreek Leaves OR Mixed Dal Kasoori Methi

Ingredients:

Mixed Lentils - 1 cup
Kasoori Methi (Dried Fenugreek Leaves) - 1/4 cup
Salt - to taste
Turmeric - 1 pinch
Oil/Ghee - for tempering
Panch Phoran - 1 large tbsp = equal quantities of cumin seeds (jeera), mustard seeds (rai), fennel seeds (saunf), fenugreek seeds (methi) and onion seeds (kalonji).
Dried Red Chillies - 2
Asafoetida (Hing) - 1 pinch



Wash the lentils thoroughly and soak for 15min in 2 cups of water. Pressure cook with some salt and turmeric for 3-4 whistles or cook on the stove top for about an hour till the lentils are cooked but not mushy.

Once all the pressure is released, remove the cooker lid and simmer the dal on alow flame. Fry the kasoori methi in a little ghee or oil and add it to the dal. Mix well. For the tempering, heat oil and add some hing, 2 dried red chillies and the panch phoran. Once they start to sputter, pour over the cooked dal and give it a gentle stir. Garnish with some kasoori methi or fresh methi leaves.



The way I like it:
These Mixed lentils taste great with rice as well as rotis. But my favorite is dal rice with some home-made pickle - the best combination!

Oh, and did I mention that I made some amazing carrot pickle and turnip and green chilli pickle? No? Well now you know. That recipe coming up soon too... And it did turn out amazingly well even if I do say so myself ;)

2 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Woww thick dal looks absolutely inviting..

Ola said...

sounds like you really went through a myriad of situations latetly:)