Friday, July 2, 2010

Hearty Broccoli Soup


I know it has been really long since I posted anything new. But in my defense, I did not even have enough time to visit my own blog or check mail, forget post new recipes! Many of my friends have been privy to my house-shifting and renovation travails so I will not go over all the heartache, the headache, the frustration and the mess that it involved! Not to mention our beloved car getting stolen just when the house seemed to be getting in order... All in all, a terrible couple of months!

Anyway, suffice to say the worst is over and my brand new kitchen and even newer Glen Gas Cooking Range are beckoning me to start experimenting again. Also now that I'm on a break from work, The Weekend Epicurean is officially an all-week long Epicurean for now :)

With the rains lashing Mumbai, the weather is ideal to just curl up on your window sill with a cup of hot herbal tea or soup. So here's my contribution to the Mumbai monsoons... a hearty Broccoli soup.


Ingredients:

Broccoli - 1 large head
Onion - 1 medium
Tomato - 1
Salt - to taste
Pepper - 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli flakes - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
Milk - 3/4 cup
Cornflour (optional) - 1 tbsp
Oregano (optional)

Cut the broccoli into small florets and blanch them in some salted water. I usually put in a pinch of turmeric to the water which lends it a brighter colour and also helps in bringing out and killing hidden germs or insects/worms.

In a frying pan or kadhai, heat a tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, add the onions and tomatoes and fry till well done. Add the broccoli florets, salt, pepper, red chilli flakes and garam masala and cook for 5 min. You can also add any soup seasoning of your choice like rosemary, mixed dried herbs or Italian seasoning.

Once the broccoli is well cooked, let it cool and then liquidize in the mixer. Pulse well till there are no lumps or pieces left. Pour this soup into a non stick vessel, add about 2 cups of water, 3/4th cup milk and bring it to a boil so that it thickens a little. Adjust seasoning.

If you like your soups thicker or creamier, mix a tbsp of cornflour in some milk or water and it to the boiling soup. This will instantly make it thicker.

Serve hot with croutons or soup sticks.