Friday, March 19, 2010

Whole Wheat Pancakes


I just love fresh, warm pancakes for breakfast with a dollop of butter and loaded with honey or maple syrup… So when I saw Arundati’s recipe for Whole Wheat Eggless Pancakes, I thought I must give it a try. Especially now that Sid is not in town, this is one of the advantages… Coz he sadly hates eating anything sweet in the mornings.

However it having been a working Saturday, when I got into the kitchen to make the pancakes on Sunday morning, I realized that I had run out of Whole Wheat flour (aata) and I did not have any buttermilk left over either. So here is my version of the recipe that turned out equally well I think.

Ingredients:

Whole Wheat Flour (Aata) – ¼ cup (that’s all I could scrape up from my flour box)
Makai Aata (Maize flour) – ¾ cup
Jaggery (Gur) – 2 large tbsp
Milk – 1 cup
Vinegar – 1 tbsp
Cinnamon powder – ¼ tsp
Sodium bcarbonate/Meetha Soda/Baking Soda – 1 tsp
Honey

Pour the vinegar into the cup of milk and keep aside for 10min. Mix the whole weat flour and the makai ka aata with the baking soda, cinnamon powder and jaggery. Pour in the milk and vinegar into this and mix well till there are no lumps of flour remaining. Leave aside for 10min to let the jaggery melt in properly. The batter should be the consistency of your regular dosa batter – easy to pour, but not watery.

Heat a shallow frying pan and pour in a ladle full of batter. Do not spread it with the ladle like a dosa! Allow it to spread itself naturally into a round shape. Pour a little butter or oil around the edges. Let it cook for about a minute till you see little bubbles bursting on the sides of the pancake, then flip it on to the other side carefully. Let it cook for another minute or until you see the edges browning.

That’s it! Serve hot with a tiny blob of butter and honey drizzled all over.

A, my special brunch invitee on Sunday, absolutely loved these pancakes and was extremely disappointed that I had made just 5 of them. But it was my first attempt, so I made a smaller batch. Now I’m all set to try out variations. I have a feeling this batch did not turn out as fluffy as they could be… So I’m going to try it with eggs the next time.

It was so easy to make that this last picture is of the pancake made by A. And if a man can turn out such a perfect pancake, you know you can too!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just loved them...and also the one which i turned. The whole breakfast was nothing less than 'PERFECT'.

A

Swati Sapna said...

Thank you A! :)

Latha said...

Hi Swati,
Pancakes look amazing and yummy! Welcome to the blog world. Am a new blogger too.

Nandita Iyer said...

Hey Swati,
Came here through Arundati's intro on her blog -
Pity I didn't find your blog when I was in Bombay, moved to Hyd a few months ago - that I didn't meet a single food blogger from Bombay in my nearly four years of blogging from that city was my big grouse!
The pancakes are a perfect colour :)
I shall be back to read more of your posts - loved your intro post BTW.
Nandita
Saffron Trail

notyet100 said...

yum this looks ,..lovely space u have ,...

Tee said...

Hey a big hello to you..dropped by from Arundati's blog. I too have made these pancakes and they're nothing short of yumm!

Tejal

Swati Sapna said...

@Latha, notyet100 - Thanks a ton!
@Tejal - I must agree with you! Have vowed to make these at least twice a month.
@Nandita - Thanks so much for the warm welcome. I really owe a lot to Arundati for inspiring me to start this blog. Would have loved to meet you while in Bombay, but nevertheless, looking forward to following your blog now :)

Srivalli said...

Hi Swati, came from Aru..nice space and lovely pancake..will check out other posts..

Karishma VP said...

Mouthwatering pics, Swathi! Thanks so much for this link... I somehow missed it I think when browsing thru your blog. This recipe will be perfect for my son especially, as I was looking for APF-free pancakes :) thanks again! Waiting for your next blog post...in true filmi shtyle :)

Swati Sapna said...

Hey Karishma! Glad you found it helpful... these are as simple as your recipe, and i'm hoping u will find them just as delicious :)