Wednesday, March 3, 2010

10-minute meal with leftovers!



Egg & Bell Peppers Fried Rice

Last night when I reached home, Sid told me he had asked the cook not to make anything for dinner. There was lots of leftover rice from the morning and he thought we could just have dal-chawal or our daily staple – curd rice. But then I remembered half a yellow and half a red bell pepper lying in the fridge waiting for me to notice them! So I decided to make some egg fried rice which I have tried earlier with great success using a recipe from Arundati’s food blog Escapades. And I improvised by adding some bell peppers and onions. It was quick and easy to make and made its way into my lunch box today 

Ingredients:

Cooked Rice – 2 cups
(If its leftover rice, use straight from the refrigerator)
Thinly sliced Onions – ½ Cup
Sliced Red & Yellow Bell peppers – ½ Cup
Soy sauce – 1 tsp
Vinegar – ½ tsp
Chilli Sauce – ½ tsp
Eggs – 2
Salt
Pepper
Oil – 2 tbsp
Rosemary/Italian Seasoning/Oregano/Garam Masala
Coriander leaves – To garnish


Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large non stick pan or kadhai. When the oil is hot enough, break the 2 eggs into the pan and scramble them with some salt and pepper. Remove from pan when just done. Do not let it overcook or burn and stick to the bottom. Pour another tbsp of oil into the pan, add the bell peppers and onions and fry them for about 2 min. Add the salt, soy sauce, vinegar and chilli sauce and mix well. Let it cook for another minute or so. Now add the rice, cooked eggs, seasoning and additional salt, pepper or soy sauce if required. Mix well, add the coriander leaves and serve hot.

Makes a complete meal by itself, and a yummy lunch for me at work.